Are You Indecisive? – Not Sure?
There are so many decisions to make in life. Some can be life-changing, others are just what to have for dinner. The problem comes when you stress and procrastinate over making them – especially the little ones. Try these tips to stop wasting time, and use it to get on with your decision.
1) The Perfect Time is now – Don’t wait forever for a perfect time, or choice, to come along. ‘The time just isn’t right’ might just be a delaying tactic. The decision has come up, so deal with it now. If it really isn’t the time now then understand when it will be, and make a conscious decision, or calendar entry, to think about it then rather than worry about it now.
2) It’s YOUR choice – Make the right decision for YOU. If you try to please everyone, or worse still wait for someone else to take the decision, then the end result might not be right for you. You have the power to choose, so don’t let others take that away.
3) Don’t Sweat on the Decision too long – Are you putting off a decision based on the fear of what ‘might’ happen. 80% of things we worry and stress about never happen. Think about the consequences, and realities, of what might actually happen and plan the solutions for ways to minimise the issues. Above all, don’t just put it off, be proactive in taking the time to resolve possible problems and take the action.
4) Be Flippant – Not one for the major decisions, but if you can’t decide let the toss of a coin do it for you. If you immediately decide it is ‘best of three’, then you know your preferred option is the one that lost so the decision is still made.
5) Be Happy with your Choice – Once the decision is made stick with it, and believe that it was the best decision you could make at the time. Don’t waste further time and energy on thinking out all the ‘what ifs’. Move on and be happy with the decision.
If you are spending 20 mins deciding on what take away to eat and then where, that’s time that could be better spent enjoying the things you aren’t getting around to.
However, if it’s a major decision, then take the time to consider things properly. Get the facts (not your assumptions of what might happen) and be in a better position to make the decision. Don’t just sit on it and worry.
Is there some decision you need to make – what’s holding you back from making it now?